Many of us might be aware about the terms indexing, googlebot & crawling. Indexing in SEO refers to search engines keeping a record of your web pages.
Usually when a search engine bot comes onto your site, it perform crawling and, based on “index” and “noindex” Meta tags, it adds pages with index tags in that search engine. This is how you control what pages from your website should be found in the various search engines.
First we have to know about what is Googlebot, and difference between Crawling & indexing to make your SEO service effective.
What is Googlebot, Crawling, and Indexing?
- Googlebot is basically the search engine bot program that Google sends out to gather information about documents on the web to add them to Google’s searchable index.
- Crawling means to reach to every possible page on web to display in search results. Finding new and updated information to report back to Google.
- Indexing is the process of adding Web Pages into Google search from its crawling activities. Elements such as title tags and ALT attributes are also analyzed during indexing. When working on indexing of our site, we should target all major search engines (Google, Bing, Yahoo etc).
To check whether your site is indexed or not. Type in Google search
If your website is not index yet, there is no big worry. To know more you may visit tips to get googlebot to index your site & blog quickly.
How Search Engine Index Your Site
Search engine process starts with the search engine spider (web crawler) which comes to your site and collects detailed information.
- Web crawler finds the home page of the website, read the head section, read the content of page content, follow each links on web page. (make sure that all the links within the website & blog are active and working, its helps search engine bots to find new and updated content to index)
- It gets returned to search engine after finishing its worldwide checking of webpages.
- Search Engine takes the detailed information collected by the search engine spider (web crawler) and analyses the information. (Each search engine has a different way of analyzing this information collected by crawler).
- A list of words found is created by search engine based on web page is created.
- The web pages are indexed based on the search engine system of indexing.
- The index data is encoded to save on the storage space.
- The indexed information is saved in a database, waiting for search engine user to do a search.
- When someone perform search at the search engine, it returned the result on the basis of the word they entered in the search box, & feels most relevant to the indexed information in the search engine’s database and list of web pages.
Try to add new content to site or blog continuously , This will give the search engine bot an opportunity to have a look to see if you have any new content to index.
Before you attempt to index a new website, ensure that you have prepared enough content, because you don’t want Google bots to come and crawl your empty homepage!
About the author
iMediadesign is a Toronto SEO Company that works to create result oriented digital strategy, From understanding the business process, finding custom web design solutions for complex problems and eCommerce website design to eCommerce optimization and marketing campaigns